Citizenship by investment: Dominica
Dominica – the most accessible citizenship by investment
The Commonwealth of Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic) is a small island Caribbean state that gives an opportunity to obtain citizenship in exchange for investment promptly and at a low price. The state citizenship by investment program is in force since 1993.
The benefits of the second passport of Dominica
- The main benefit of Dominica is the most favorable price for obtaining citizenship compared with the competitor countries. The program for economic citizenship in Dominica currently is the most low-priced in the world: the amount of government donation for one applicant is only 100 000 US dollars.
- No less important benefit of Dominica is a minimal period for obtaining of citizenship. The processing of a candidate’s application may take from 60 to 90 days. The total period for obtaining citizenship may take only 3 or 4 months.
- Holders of passport of Dominica can visit more than 135 countries without visa, including the United Kingdom, the European Union countries, countries of the Commonwealth and the Caribbean. Thus, from summer 2015 the holders of Dominica’s passport can enter the Schengen Agreement countries for tourist purposes without visa for a period not exceeding 90 days.
- As a rule, an applicant is not required to visit Dominica personally to obtain citizenship. Beginning with 2015 the compulsory interview is abolished and can only be performed selectively (at the discretion of the authority). It means that now there is no need to go across the ocean for the sole purpose of passing the interview. Besides this there is no requirements for entrance and staying in the country after getting the passport.
- The citizenship is granted for the life term. The passport is issued for 10 years (5 years for children) and then is to be renewed under the ordinary procedure.
Procedure for obtaining passport of Dominica
There are two ways of participation in Dominica’s citizenship program:
1) one-time non-returnable donation to the governmental fund; or
2) investment into immovable property in Dominica.
The applicant may have any citizenship (except for Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, DPRK, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia).
The amount of donation to the governmental fund depends on the number of applicants:
|Amount of donation and related fees||Amount valid until August 2016||Amount valid from August 2016|
|One applicant||100 000 USD||175 000 USD|
|Applicant with a spouse||175 000 USD||225 000 USD|
|Applicant with a spouse and two children below 18||200 000 USD||250 000 USD|
|Each additional applicant (other than spouse)||50 000 USD|
|Due diligence for each adult applicant||7 500 USD|
|Due diligence for a child older than 16||4 000 USD|
|Due diligence for a child between 12 and 16||2 000 USD|
|Processing fee||3 000 USD|
|Fee for Certificate of Naturalization and stamp fee (per person)||750 USD|
Obtaining citizenship through donation includes the following steps:
- Gathering application documents.
- Paying fees for the applicants’ due diligence check and filing the documents to the Office of the citizenship by investment program.
- Personal due diligence which may take from 60 to 90 days. This procedure ends with preliminary approval of the candidates.
- Paying the full donation amount and the outstanding fess to special governmental account.
- Getting the Certificate of Naturalization which is to be submitted to Immigration Department along with the application for issue of passport and covering documents.
- Receipt of passport.
Another way for getting citizenship of Dominica is an investment into the island’s real estate resort projects approved by the government. In this case you will need to enter into an agreement with the developer for the amount not less than USD 200 000.
As in the case of donation, an applicant goes through the compulsory personal due diligence check. The set of documents for obtaining citizenship is to be filed after making deposit for the immovable property unit. After receipt of preliminary approval, the investor transfers the full amount to the developer’s account and pays the outstanding fees to special governmental account. Dominica’s passport will be issued for the applicant following the receipt of naturalization certificate.
The owner will be able to resale his immovable property (or a share therein) after 3 years (this is the minimal period among the comparable programs). This makes the investment advantageous from the perspective of return of investments in the course of time.
Countries to visit without visa
The holders of passport of Dominica can visit the following countries without visa (the terms of visa-free stay can vary depending on a specific country):
Antigua and Barbuda
British Virgin Islands
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius en Saba
Isle of Man
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
Saint Marten (France)
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Sint Maarten (Netherlands) Slovakia
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
French West India
Central African Republic
South African Republic
For all questions related to citizenship by investment program of Dominica, please contact our specialists.